Sunday, February 17, 2013

Finding Myself



What you need to remember when somebody has told you that "you have changed" is not to take it personally as an insult - even though it may be intended as one. What has happened is you have changed to them from what makes them comfortable. You are making them think about what is right and what needs fixed in their life. People are drawn to people that are like them to make them comfortable. When you grow as a person it will make them uncomfortable. They might tell you you have changed, you need to eat more, stop working out so much, dress different, ect. Look what is behind their words - they are just trying to persuade you to be the old you and make you more like them again. The good thing in finding yourself is you will also discover who your true friends are. The ones who cheer your every success, every pound and every dropped size. They love you now and 100lbs ago. That is such a blessing. Also you are opening your world up to a world of like minded and healthy new friends.

This picture above has been the banner on my  Facebook wall for a few months. "I didn't change, I just found myself" is me completely. Yes, I have lost over a 100 lbs, changed the way I eat, how I look at food and now I run. I have not changed though. This has been a year of discovery. I have found me .. the girl I was when I was 16. When I thought anything was possible and I had no limitations. I have dropped everything negative from my life. My life is full of love and laughter. I hope every single one of you have a year of discovery. Find who you are and know you can do anything! Then when somebody says "You've changed" - you can tell them you have found yourself too.

2 comments:

  1. I agree. Sometimes it's completely possible to out grow your friends and when you are working on having a new life style, well it just comes with the territory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Completely agree. Just recently, I had a friend tell me that I've changed. I took it as she was meaning something bad. I hung up the phone, took a hard look and proceeded to call her back and apologize. Before I could even get the words out she said "no, no no no no, I didn't tell you I thought you'd changed to be a bad thing. I told you so that you continue on your journey". What she was seeing was something good, something new, a thicker skin, some self-esteem some self-respect. She was happy for me. It just took a few little words and a little bit of time for me to see that my changes aren't bad, they are respected!

    ReplyDelete