Monday, December 11, 2017

A Spark

Sometimes you don't get it fully until years later the impact someone has on your life. If Amy hadn't had popped up in my life and taught me these lessons I may never have found the new me. I may never have become healthy. I may never have paid it forward by becoming Girls Gone Healthy and helping others. All it it takes is one spark to change the path of your life. I truly believe she was my spark. Without this spark my life could have been so different.
8 years ago today my friend died of cancer. There is a lesson in this loss so I will share. She touched my life and if I can pay forward what she taught me to a few more it would be a beautiful honor to her today. I was with her almost every day of her life for the last 6 weeks. Not because I knew her forever or she was my neighbor. She worked at my daughter's school and there was a call and need for help with her. I had known of her for years, my daughter loved her and her family needed help. I was a stay at home mom with kids at school and had time to offer. Those 6 weeks of close friendship I can't describe to you really. In a situation like this one day is like a year. We talked, held hands, laughed.. cried, prayed. She taught me to see the beauty in the simplest things. I was still stuck after my seizure and had not found my way out. She helped me to start seeing the light. One morning she had a request she wanted to feel the sun. So even though it was cooler out we bundled her and brought her in front of a window. She said please just bring me outside. Which we did even though technically we weren't suppose to. You could see every care she had wash away when she could feel the sun, smell the air and be outside for those few minutes. Something we do all the time and don't think twice about. She showed me selfless love. Her #1 concern at all times were her children. How they were doing. When were they coming? Were their days as normal as possible. She taught me undying faith. When at the time in my faith I myself would have been angry to leave my children so young. To have to deal with all of this pain. She NEVER was. She always remained faithful and strong in her love for God. I was at a point myself where I turned my back on my faith because after my diagnosis I felt abandoned. I just had too many emotions to see. She helped show me that even in the greatest trial I am not alone. She praised His name with every breath she had. There are so many things she taught me these are just a few but one that reminds me of her almost daily is this. When things get tough you keep on going. You never give up. On her board in her hospital room were these 3 simple words from her favorite movie...
Just Keep Swimming
Appreciate every moment, hug and love your family, enjoy every laugh and conversation, experience life's moments don't just blindly live, have faith even in the darkest of times and NEVER lose hope or give up. Never be afraid to lend a helping hand. My life would never have been the same if I would have ignored this request.

No comments:

Post a Comment