Saturday, March 26, 2016

International Epilepsy Day 2016

Today is International Epilepsy Day a day to raise awareness on something very close to my heart..and brain. 7 1/2 years ago I had a normal day. Driving around with my kids then volunteering at a Soup Kitchen. From that moment almost the next 2 hours of my life were gone. I remember waking up for a split second in a ambulance then nothing again. Later I heard noises and woke up in a bright ER room to my husband with his head in his hands at the end of my bed. They diagnosed me as dehydrated. I went home that day and later that night found my tongue was nearly bit in half. We called the Neurologist. After extensive testing it is found I have irregular brainwaves. This is something I take seizure meds for twice daily for the rest of my life not to have another. IF I have another I will be declared an epileptic. I have been assured without the meds it would happen within days if not sooner. My life has never been the same from the moment this has happened. At first I lived in fear so dark and scary. A place a wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. Then one day I literally woke up and realized this wasn't a death sentence BUT a second chance to LIVE. I changed my thinking and changed my life. Body, mind and spirit. I lost 110 lbs. I have kept it off 4 years. I help others to do the same. Life is what you make it. You can find the bad and stay in the bad or you can take the bad and make it something beautiful. I still I have fear, I still have anxiety but it is manageable with hope and faith.
.
Now what can you do? If you see someone having a seizure don't be scared. Use your "BRAIN"
.
B- Be Calm
R-Remove dangerous objects
A- Always time the seizure
I- If the person has fallen turn on their side & don't hold down
N - Never put anything in their mouth

No comments:

Post a Comment