Sunday, March 6, 2016

Lessons From Louie

The kids and I finally got to watch the movie Unbroken. Yes, 2 years late. It was worth it though. It is about Louie Zamperini. Growing up through hard times his brother always told him "if you can take it, you can make it". This got him on the track team in High School and to the Olympic Track Team. Later while serving in War his plane was shot down. After being on a raft for about 45 days he said to God, I swear you get me through this I will dedicate my life to you and do whatever you want. After this he was found. Unfortunately by Japan and became a prisoner of war. For years. What they showed is nowhere close to what I'm sure he was put through and it was beyond brutal. Enough to make anybody forget that promise in that raft and become a hard, broken person. After years of abuse and torture he finally went home. After years of severe post traumatic stress Louie made good on the his promise to serve God, a decision he credited with saving his life. Motivated by faith, Louie came to see that the way forward was not revenge, but forgiveness. He returned to Japan and made peace with all his captors but one who refused to meet him. I don't tell you this for a history lesson. I'm telling you this because no matter how broken you are, there is a better road then anger. Our lives comparably are nothing to what this man went through. I know my few years of darkness and bad things that happened is nothing compared to his. I have had my rock bottom prayers though and I have had my moments I have wanted to turn away because it was so bad. Faith has always eventually won. I have actually forgiven everyone in my life. Which is huge a year ago I could not have said that. Even the one's who had hurt me the most. Why? Not for them - for me because it sets me free. Just like it did him. Faith and forgiveness are amazing things. It may take a while to get there but when you do life will never be the same

No comments:

Post a Comment